Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What? Green Pancakes?

Yup. Grain-free experimenting again. A couple weeks ago a friend told me of a banana and two eggs mixed together pancake recipe, which by the way is very yummy. No syrup needed.

This morning, I wanted to take it a little further....and greener.




In the Vitamix (which I used because kale is in them) I put:

3 eggs
1 ripe banana
1/2 can coconut milk
1/4 c. coconut flour
leaves from 3 stalks of kale

Blend until smooth.

I made about sixteen 3" discs.

I didn't add any extra sugars but if you like it a little sweeter you could add a sweetener of your choice. I knew I'd want to put some maple syrup on them and I wanted to try them as is.

These did have some earthy 'green' taste to them. They are very moist and patience must be a given to making these. If you don't like real 'green' tasting food, try it with just one or two leaves of kale, you're still getting some superfood nutrition but not as much taste of it -- or add a sweetener, or another banana even. I try to get some extra green whenever I can.

It's all experimental to me.

I cooked them on a griddle (a thrifting find last week.) I love using my cast iron pans but for pancakes of any kind, they just haven't worked well with my vintage electric stove. Last weekend when I made the banana/eggs pancakes I said to myself, "I just want to find a griddle." I had to go to an indoor flea market to drop off something to one of the vendors for R. so I poked around. On my way out this "Family Size Griddle," probably from the 70's, caught my eye. $5 later and it was mine.

After one batch of pancakes was done, I scoffed them as I made another batch. I'm going to put the second batch in the freezer (freeze them individually on a cookie sheet first, then put them into a container so you can pull only as many as you want) and I will see how well they toast up in the toaster oven when I feel like having them again.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Yum! These are going to be a big hit for St. Patrick's day! And now i have a way to get rid of some of the extra kale I have in the super large bag I just bought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...