Translate

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes

I have a tendency to have a banana with peanut butter each morning. But when they hit a certain degree of ripeness, I can't hang with the texture so I have to create an alternative.

Pancakes.


I automatically thought of the well known mix of eggs and bananas, but I was looking for something more satisfying. So I started adding things. I used my Vitamix to blend it up smooth but a good blender should work well, too, due to the consistency of the ingredients -- unless, of course, you drop eggshell into the pitcher. If that happens, you might get a little crunch. With the Vitamix, I knew I didn't have to worry and just figured I'd be getting a little calcium in the mix. ;)

Here's how I made it:

2 eggs (with or without shells) 
2 ripe bananas
1/2 can plain pumpkin puree
1/4 c. coconut flour (more or less depending on how thick you like them)
pumpkin pie spice, or mix of cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg (I eyeballed amounts)

Mix on high. This was thick enough that I had to spoon it out. My first batch was a bit less firm and I could pour it out but I wanted more oomph to them, that is when I added the coconut flour. 

I made them in one of my new favorite kitchen appliances. 


I picked it up at my favorite-little-thrift-store, for $5. I had been keeping an eye out for one and I think this may have been used one or two times. Instructions were even with it. I've used it to caramelize onions (works like a bleeping dream) sautéed turkey breast and it browned so nicely...eggs, didn't get that over heated browning my cast iron pans give...love it love it love it. I'm a huge cast iron fan so this is big for me. The only problem with non-stick surfaces is finding a spatula that will work that isn't metal. Fortunately, I've been successful with my wooden one, it's just a little more of a be careful process. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you really put egg shells in your Vitamix? Hmmm, hadn't ever thought to do that. This recipe sounds pretty good, I'm going to give it a whirl. Always looking for alternative paleo breakfast ideas. Did you then cook these in coconut oil or forgo the oil with your snazzy new non stick electric skillet? My mom always used one of these to make fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy, I did skim butter over the surface at first, but found I didn't really need to after that. I probably didn't need to in the beginning but old habits die hard. I think I had the heat set at 300 degrees but I played with it a little to get the right heat vs. over-browning, but cooking fast enough.

      Delete
    2. oh, and, no I don't typically put eggshells in my Vitamix, this one fell in far enough that I couldn't reach it. But, then, I thought? why not? The Vitamix will pulverize it so smoothly. I'm adding them to my smoothie today. (ps: these are pastured eggs - straight from the hens a**) I also will put raw egg in my smoothies if they are organic or pastured.

      Delete
    3. I mean free range. Pastured is beef.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...