Translate

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Vintage MCM Coffee Table

I've been keeping an eye out for a vintage coffee table the past couple years. I like the Castro Convertible that I have but I'm thinking it's a bit too wide, I especially think that when I clock my knee on the sharp corner.


Finally, while looking for hutch tops on Craigslist, there it was, in an ad for a hutch top, looking dingy and forgotten. I called, it was still available, I went.


It's been traveling around in my storage mobile (aka, my Rav4) for a couple weeks now and I had to get it out of there for sanity purposes. So I pulled it into the living room, used some Restor-a-finish on it, and voila! .... but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe because I am used to the yellow/beige of the CC, maybe because I am used to the size of the CC, but I couldn't make myself feel that it was working.


It looks good to me in the photo, but when looking at the whole room, it's off balance. It feels heavy to the right side with the majority of the furniture there. I put the first one back. Maybe I'll just take something else out of the room to 'lighten' it up. Or maybe I'll keep looking and try this again.

Of course, this is not a new occurrence in my house. Thank goodness I get things at thrift stores, Craigslist and tag sales, and therefore, don't spend hundreds of dollars. I change my mind so much. Although I am a very visual person, I have to see items in my space to 'feel' if it's right....and I ain't feeling it. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, that's too bad cuz I like it instead of the mustard-colored one. Then again, I'm a "natural wood" kind of girl, and hate the color yellow. No pre-conceived preference there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's mustard in the photo, more of a beigey/with a hint of yellow in real life. It was Francis's Uncle Charlies, gifted to me when Lenore, Francis and I did the clean out after his death.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yeah, I forgot I'm UNKNOWN on your site. I'm catching up on my reading since I'm home on medical leave, and can finally sit for more than 5 minutes at the computer. Love your blog.--LINDA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Fast healing to you! Glad you have a few minutes to catch up. Not so glad it's due to the pain of surgery. :(

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...