Translate

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Little Bug, Beaner, Bug Bug, Love Bug, Little B...


Yup, those are the names she is called and she answers to most of them. 
She's a funny girl. Easy going. A snuggler for about a minute, unless she's really tired out. She doesn't stop going. If she's resting and sees movement, she's got to find out what it's about. She continues to want to play with Weezie, who just yells at her in return, but Bug keeps at it. When she lays down to rest, she plops on her side. Up one second, plopped down the next. A few minutes of rest and she's ready to go. 

She was surrendered to us because she is too active. I believe an older couple had her. This is what happens... they're cute on the internet (she came from MI,) or in a store, or on tv, but they are puppies, they are active, and they need attention. To their credit they did teach her to sit and down and rollover. The rollover was an easy teach. She does it most of the way, all you have to do is encourage the full turn, which is a great way to take advantage of and encourage tricks. She gets a treat? she's willing to do it again. Thing is, like other Schnauzers I've known, like my Hanzie, she thinks that if she does all the tricks one after another and in succession over and over again, it will get her her food faster. Doesn't happen. We're working on concentration, focus and patience. Patience for the trainer is needed because their little brains are spinning and have difficulty focussing. But, she's learning that if she sits and waits, then she gets her food. She's a smart cookie...in an education sort of way, not in street smarts. Reminds me of another girl I know, Tink (now Olive) she was like that, too. This characteristic makes them very lovable...you have to watch out for the smart ones...they train you! 

R's girls fell for her right away. Her 'design' is very attractive and how can you not fall for a dog that as soon as you get in the car it plops it's head into your lap and snuggles in for the 20 minute drive. She knows how to work it! LOL

R continues to show her affection and guidance and I think I heard him say, "she might end up mine" or something to that effect...whoa! words like that have never come from his lips....he was just probably caught up in the moment. 

I keep thinking the Universe is trying to tell me something. It keeps bringing to me these good dogs that make me think, "should I?" Ever since Lucy. Don't get me wrong, I've had affection for other dogs before Lucy but I don't really recall the thoughts of keeping any. At least not with this much thought. Maybe a "if no one adopts it, it would be a good dog to have around" but not this "should I shouldn't I?" Lucy and her growth and spirit and loyalty to me must have softened me. I considered keeping her, then came Tink a year later and days later we have this little button. The Universe is trying to wear me down, I swear! LOL

This is the first time that I've actually thought of the longevity of a dog's life and how old I might be when it dies and if it lives to what could possibly be 16 years. When I've gotten dogs in the past I didn't think of the fact of having them for so many years, I was just in the moment, as many other people are. Once I made the commitment I knew I was committed forever, but who knew that Weezie, that 10 week old little blondie that I found on the sidewalk, would still be here 17 years later? So, I think, wow, if I adopted Bug, she might live until she's 16 and I'll be 63. ...63! ...63. ...63. ...63. Not old by today's standards by any means but hello? 63. what the heck might I be doing when I'm 63? or 54 for that matter. Ahhhh, better to not think of such things and stay in the moment and cross bridges when I come to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...